On November 12, 1995, the first Constitution of independent Azerbaijan was adopted by national referendum. The first Constitution of independent Azerbaijan laid the foundation of state building. It consist of the 5 sections, 12 chapters and 158 articles.
The amendments to the Constitution were made in 2009 on March 18.
So, the November 12 is declared as the Constitution Day.
The Azerbaijani people, who are continuing the centuries-long statehood traditions, declare solemnly its following intentions:
- To protect the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the state;
- To provide a democratic system within the framework of the Constitution
- To achieve the establishment of a civil society;
- To build a secular state, providing the rule of law as an expression of the will of the people;
- To provide a decent standard of living for everybody in conformity with just economic and social order;
- To live in peace and tranquility, and for this purpose operate with commitment to universal values of friendship with all nations of the world;
The above-enumerated sincere intentions of the Constitution are passed through the referendum.